Fear of colonoscopy -- overrated!

• Did anyone else find getting a colonoscopy turned out to be one of the most overblown, over hyped medical procedures out there?  I did and kept wondering when the really bad part would kick in. What an overblown myth!

You'd think that the procedure involved was akin to the XL pipeline being applied back there.  Nothing causes as much angst as how terrible the evacuation prep is the night before.  To be honest the most negative part to me was the embarrassment of it with the “team” of professionals in the room; but then I realized they do this all the time. Just remember that although this is new to you, but to them, it's just another day in the office.

Certainly, it's not a pleasant thing to perform and is unquestionably awkward to do yourself (and I wouldn't want it any other way), but it's in no way as painful/terrible as most people make it out to be.   The entire colonoscopy – the prep, the fasting, the office procedure and the recovery – was actually one of the simplest, fastest and least painful medical operation that I've experienced.

So if you're approaching your first colonoscopy, sorry to burst your bubble but it's not the chamber of horrors most people describe and make jokes about.  (Personally i found the same overkill about having a root canal, but that's another group.)

Report this question